zona alto destra
Emanuela Foglia, PhD, is an Assistant Professor at the School of Industrial Engineering of LIUC University, and Researcher of LIUC Business School, where she is affiliated to the Centre for Health Economics and Health Care Management – LIUC Business School and Healthcare Datascience LAB.
Her main research interests focus on health technology assessment, health economic evaluation, performance management and measurement, within the healthcare setting, thus coordinating, as project leader, more than 50 research activities in the following fields:
· health technology assessment, developed at both hospital-based and institutional settings. In particular, thanks to the collaboration of Lombardy Region, a specific health technology assessment framework was proposed and tested, deriving from EUnetHTA Core Model, and MCDA approach. 70 different evaluations at hospital-based level and more than 20 at regional level were carried out to implement the multidimensional approach for the comparison of standard and innovative technologies (drugs, medical devices, ICT and clinical pathways);
· healthcare management and organizational issues in health structures (development of methodologies for cost control in public and private hospitals in different Italian Regions, introduction of budgeting and reporting systems in Italy and in Developing Countries, optimization of performances and processes, both at clinical and at managerial level, etc…);
· health economics modeling (e.g. Markov Model developed for HIV and for HCV infection) and predictive models (e.g. COVID-19 ICUs beds occupancy, public tender evaluation and impact);
· evaluation of public health programs (Schistosomiasis control in Cambodia, paratuberculosis bovine programme in Italy, etc…);
· health-related quality of life analysis, considering the point of view of the patients suffering from chronic diseases (in particular HIV, HCV and diabetes);
· telemedicine and digital technologies evaluation and sustainability (coordinator of three founded projects).
Emanuela is also actively involved in the development, planning and coordination of first and second level Master Course, both for healthcare professionals, and for clinicians, in the field of management, clinical governance and health technology assessment. She also coordinates both a specific Master Course in Health Technology Assessment and other General Management Courses devoted to specific clinical areas, such as Infectious Diseases, Oncology, Gastroenterology, Ophthalmology.
She is author of more than 60 publications at international and national level, and she serves as a scientific reviewer for several journals of the sector such as Value in Health, Clinico Economics and Outcome Research, R&D Management, International Journal of Technology Assessment in Healthcare.
Considering the years 2018-2020, the main scientific evidence published within International and impacted Journal are the following:
· Vettoretto N. Foglia E, Ferrario L, et al. (2020), Could fluorescence guided surgery be an efficient and sustainable option? A SICE (Italian Society of Endoscopic Surgery) health technology assessment summary. In: Surgical endoscopy. Surg Endosc. 2020 Jul;34(7):3270-3284
· Foglia E., Marinelli S., Garagiola E., Ferrario L., Depretto C., Cartia F., Ferranti C., Porazzi E., Scaperrotta G. Budget impact analysis of breast cancer screening in Italy: The role of new technologies. Health Services Management Research. 2020, Vol. 33(2) 66–75
· Ferrario L. Foglia E, Garagiola E, et al. The impact of PrEP: results from a multicenter Health Technology Assessment into the Italian setting. J Prev Med Hyg. 2020 Oct 6;61(3):E451-E463.
· Garagiola E, Foglia E, Ferrario L, et al. Comorbidities and HCV coinfection in the management of HIV+ patients: evidence from the Italian clinical practice. Health Econ Rev. 2020 Aug 29;10(1):27
· Ferrario L, Schettini F, Garagiola E, et al. Advanced Medical Devices for Preparation and Administration of Chemotherapeutic Agents: Results from a Multi-Dimensional Evaluation. ClinicoEconomics and Outcomes Research 2020:12 711–722.
· Ferrario L, Foglia E, Bandello F, et al. Integrating Health Technology Assessment and Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis in Optimizing Diabetic Macular Edema Management- Results from an Italian Multi-Regional Study. Biomed J Sci & Tech Res 32(4)-2020
· Garagiola E, Foglia E, Ferrario L. HTA and HIV: The Case of Dual NRTI Backbones in the Italian Setting. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Dec 3;17(23):9010
· Vanni F, Foglia E, Pennestrì F, et al. Introducing enhanced recovery after surgery in a high-volume orthopaedic hospital: a health technology assessment. BMC Health Serv Res. 2020 Aug 24;20(1):773.
· Foglia E, Ferrario L, Lettieri E, Porazzi E, Gastaldi L. What drives hospital wards’ ambidexterity: Insights on the determinants of exploration and exploitation. Health Policy. 2019; 123 (12): 1298-1307.
· Bretoni A, Ferrario L, Foglia E. HTA and innovative treatments evaluation: the case of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Clinicoecon Outcomes Res. 2019 Apr 17;11:283-300.
· Vettoretto N, Foglia E, Ferrario L et al. Why laparoscopists may opt for three-dimensional view: a summary of the full HTA report on 3D versus 2D laparoscopy by S.I.C.E. (Società Italiana di Chirurgia Endoscopica e Nuove Tecnologie). Surg Endosc. 2018;32(6):2986-2993.
· Foglia E, Ferrario L, Bandello F, Ferri C, Figini I, Franzin M, Gambaro G, Introini U, Medaglia M, Staurenghi G, Tadini P, Fomiatti A, Croce D. Diabetic Macular Edema, innovative technologies and economic impact: new opportunities for the Lombardy Region healthcare system?. Acta Ophthalmol. 2018;96(4):e468-e474
Emanuela actively participates to International Conferences papers, by means of both oral and poster presentations.
With regard to the year 2020, the most important disseminating activities are the following:
- Gallese C, et al. Preventing litigation with a predictive model of COVID-19 ICUs occupancy. In: 2020 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (Big Data). Piscataway: IEEE, p. 2111-2116. ISBN 978-1-7281-6251-5.
- Bianciardi C, Roveta A, Maconi A. The economic burden of COVID-19 hospital management: results from a pilot study. Poster presentation at EHMA 2020.
- Foglia E, Ferrario L, Bellavia D, et al. HTA and Laboratory setting: the case of an innovative blood collection tube. Poster presentation at EHMA 2020
- Schettini F, Foglia E, Bellavia D, et al. Forecasting the healthcare public tender complexity leveraging on knowledge assets based on digital solutions. Oral presentation at IFKAD 2020
- Foglia E, Ferrario L, Bandello F, et al. Intravitreal Therapies Pattern of Use in Italy: A Real-World Evidence Study on Maculopathies. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S737. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Foglia E, Garagiola E, Ferrario L, et al. New Insights from CAR-T: An Economic and Organizational Perspective. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S430. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Ferrario L, Schettini F, Garagiola E, et al. Innovative closed system devices: costs savings, increased safety and multidimensional impacts. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S579. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Schettini F, Bellavia D, Garagiola E, et al. Mental Health Department, organizational and productivity performance: a purpose for a KPIs dashboard. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S678. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Schettini F, Ferrario L, Foglia E, et al. Efficacy, safety and efficiency indicators in the peripheral venous access management. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S581. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Foglia E, Garagiola E, Ferrario L, et al. Budget Impact Analysis of benefits and costs in the Italian HCV landscape: present and future. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S523. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Foglia E, Bellavia D, Ferrario L, et al. From Serum-gel to Plasma-Barricor™: improvements in pre-analytical laboratory indicators. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S674. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Foglia E, Menzaghi B, Rizzardini G, et al. Factors associated with Health-Related Quality of Life and medical costs of people living with HIV in Italy. Value in Health. 2020; 23 (S2): S570. Poster presentation at ISPOR 2020.
- Ceccarelli G, Nunnari P, Bellavia G, Ferrario L, Foglia E. Una Check List per la produzione e la revisione di un PDTA: risultati di una valutazione HTA. Oral presentation at SIHTA 2020.
- Foglia E, Menzaghi B, Rizzardini G, et al. HIV and Comorbidities: the Impact of Comorbidities on Health-Related Quality of Life in People living with HIV in Italy. Poster presentation at wAIDS 2020.
- 2020: LIUC best paper award for the Management Engineering area.
- 2020: Best poster award, for the poster "The economic burden of COVID-19hospital management" during the EHMA 2020 Digital Conference (17-19 November 2020).
- 2020: track organizer for the special track titled “Knowledge assets in healthcare digital innovation: new wine in old bottles?”, of 15th International Forum on Knowledge Asset Dynamics (IFKAD – 2020) “Knowledge in Digital Age”.
- 2019: track organizer for the special track titled “Connected Care: Embracing Value-based Healthcare Ecosystems through Digital Innovations”, of the XXX Riunione Scientifica Annuale RSA AiIG 2019
- 2019: track organizer for the special track titled “New Knowledge Assets in Health Care: The Challenge of Value Generation through Real-World Data”, of 14th International Forum on Knowledge Asset Dynamics (IFKAD – 2019)
- Emanuela is a supervisor for the Committee of Performances and Procedures Evaluation in three Lombardy Region hospitals: ASST Ovest Milanese (Legnano), ASST Valle Olona (Busto Arsizio) and ASST Gaetano Pini (Milano).
- From 2016, she is an Expert member of Endoscopic Surgery Italian Society (the Italian SICE), for the development of Health Technology Assessment Reports.
- 2013-2015: Member of the health technologies assessment regional worktable (TTRAM)– Lombardy Region
- 2020-2022: Smart-Touch-ID [Lombardy Region Call HUB – financed by POR FESR– ASSE 1 - CALL HUB RICERCA E INNOVAZIONE]
- 2020: TCube – Development of Telemonitoring, telerehabilitation and telesupporting for fragile patients, with cardiovascular, neurological and polmunary diseases, with or without COVID-19 [Misura a sostegno dello sviluppo di collaborazioni per l’identificazione di terapie e sistemi di diagnostica, protezione e analisi per contrastare l’emergenza da Coronavirus e altre emergenze virali del futuro, di cui alla DGR n. XI/3015]
- 2017-2020: SIDERA B – Integrated home and rehabilitative system [Lombardy Region Operative Programme 2014-2020 Objective – Investments for the occupation improvement]
- 2015: ADHELE Study, Adherence and Quality of Life in HIV + patients in Italy [Gilead Science Fellowship]
- 2014-2017: Osservatorio indipendente dei giovani ricercatori per L'Assessment e l'Appraisal delle tecnologie sanitarie - OPLAA! [Joint notice to increase the attractiveness of the Lombardy Region research system and the competitiveness of young candidate researchers on ERC tools]